Church Shopping

Sunday, November 8, 2009

This morning, I felt well enough to continue my "church shopping." I went to one close by actually. I don't like to draw attention to myself, so I usually sneak into the sanctuary after everyone else has gone in and take a seat in the back. WAY WAAAY back. I don't like to talk to people. It's not that I don't like people. It's just that when I'm church shopping and I'm among so many people that I don't know, I just want to be left alone and not have people ask me questions about my family, my friends, where I live, where I hang out, when I can come again next, etc.... So when I go to church, I sneak in, then sneak out as QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Today was no different. I run in and run out.

But have you ever gotten text messages during the service? I know that I should be focused and concentrating on the service instead of checking my text messages. The messages are going to be there after the service! But why do I feel the need to check the message IMMEDIATELY? As soon as I get them? What's the hurry?

This morning, I got 3 very unimportant text messages over the course of 10 minutes during the service. I ignored my first text. I was fine. I didn't even check it. Not even a flicker. I saw the text come in, and ignored it. Then my phone vibrated again from a 2nd text. Umm... my hands started getting itchy. I was nervous. I wanted to reach for the phone. But I tried not to pay any attention. Then a 3rd text came in. URRRRGH!! I COULD NOT RESIST! I grabbed for my phone to check my very unimportant text from my co-worker about the grape jello that I was supposed to make and bring to work tomorrow. =\ Bad Haley BAD! =\

I'll just turn my phone OFF during the service from now on. Or, maybe I'll just leave it in the car.

5 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I hope you find the perfect church for you. I usually turn my phone off before I get there because mine is loud and blaring when it rings. Sounds like you had a good time, despote the buzzing. ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Make that "despite" the buzzing. Typos are common at this hour with me. ;-)

Macey said...

Are you writing about you or me? Cuz that sounds like me. :)

Liz Mays said...

I always sit in the back and sneak in and sneak out too. I actually do that now and I go to the same church all the time. ;)

Lori E said...

This is the same as Pavlov's dog. Ring a bell and the dog salivates because in the past he was trained that when the bell rang he would get food.
We are now conditioned to respond to the the bells and whistles on our phones, games, computers etc.
I have to go now. I have a crazy craving for some kibble.

 
Haley's Journal.