Back from Thanksgiving Eating Bonanza!

Sunday, November 29, 2009

I think I've packed on the pounds from this Thanksgiving. This was my first Thanksgiving together with Hunnybuns. Since his family is local, I went over to meet his parents (Oh boy...!) for Thanksgiving. I was very nervous. First time meeting his mom and his sister. I've met his father a few times when he joined us on a couple of our surfing trips. He was a fun guy and we got along great. (This was before Hunnybuns and I were together.) But we all know that I have to impress the women in the family in order to be accepted. Fathers are easy, I think.

Surprisingly, no embarrassing stories to write about! Oh GOSH, another boring post. It all went off without a hitch. Hunnybuns and I went for a quick surf sesh (I LOVE surfing with Hunnybuns! Probably because it's the sport that enabled us to meet in the first place) in the morning then headed for his parents. We arrived there earlier in the afternoon to get a mountain bike ride in with his dad. I didn't really want to ride my bike that day because I was just being lazy, but it was a good idea to "prep" our bodies for the feeding frenzy that would occur later. No one else had arrived yet. Nothing eventful on the bike ride. His dad and I got along great. And since I'm a SLOW-ASS biker and his dad was taking it easy, I had some quality alone time with his Pops. He was very easy-going, nice to talk to. (What a relief!) We came back to more of his relatives coming into town. I was a nervous wreck by this time. All his aunts, uncles, siblings, nephews, OMG.... I tried to be on my best behavior - no stupid jokes, no drinking alcohol, play nice with the kids, try to be normal, don't be goofy, don't play with my hair, don't fidget, no burping, no farting, be confident without coming off stuck up, etc...

To not be rude, I ATE EVERYTHING that they put in front of me. Even things that I didn't like - like cranberry sauce and pecan pie. I don't know what about it just turns me off. Maybe because it's too sweet? I just like my turkey plain with gravy, no cranberry sauce. And I just HATE pecans! I much prefer the pumpkin pie (Oh yes, I had that too. I tried to "chase" the pecan pie with a slice of pumpkin pie with lots of whipped cream!) At the end of the dinner, I was stuffed, and I think they liked me. Or at least, they thought I was tolerable? I tried to be personable, and not be my anti-social goofy self. First impressions are everything, right? I can show my true self if/when his family and I spend more time together. I don't think that will happen though. I see us kinda living our own lives, and seeing his parents here and there.

Anyways, they seemed only glad that I had a job, wasn't psycho, that he was very happy with me, and that I loved him. Good enough, right?

I was afraid to get on the scale this morning. I could just feel the extra roll around my stomach. So, this morning, Hunnybuns and I packed our bikes and surfboards and drove up north for a LONG bike ride and surf sesh afterwards. What was to be a 2 hour bike ride turned into a 4 hour bike ride. Uhhh... we got lost, so we needed to forego our surf session. I just looked at it as me being able to burn more calories. It was kinda fun getting lost in a new place like the place where we were biking. (I don't know the name =\) Good thing I had my camera with me! I could NOT believe there were places like this in Los Angeles area! Lavender fields? Horse ranches? Cows? It looks like the beautiful fields that you see out in the country in France (Mimi, you should live here =), not the traffic congestion, tall buildings, plastic surgery haven that LA is known for.

Lavender fields - it smelled SOOO GOOOOD! I just wanted to keep inhaling the scent around this field!



On the road again after the lavender bushes:



And.... we're lost... but it's a nice street!


I loved how these flowers smelled too. I couldn't quite figure out whether they were roses or what! I don't think they were. Leaves were different. But they smelled very similar. I wish this was my house. (Yes, we're still lost here... =\)




So how did we get back? I knocked on one of these house's doors to ask for directions. Hunnybuns refused to do it. WHAT IS IT WITH MEN AND ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS!?!? HAH???

2 comments:

Macey said...

I saw this lady on TV that lives in that area and she owns a lavendar farm/ranch/whatever you call that...and she makes stuff and sells it.
I can't believe you don't have any embarrassing stories!? Come on...you didn't barf or anything??

Liz Mays said...

When you used the word sesh, I felt like I found a soul mate.

I LOVE the smell of fresh lavender but I despise the smell of lavender in products. Isn't that crazy?

Glad you had a great weekend!

 
Haley's Journal.