Bike Cleaning - Do NOT try this at home

Monday, November 16, 2009

Since I haven't cleaned my bike since I bought it uh....2 years ago, I decided to clean it this weekend. I don't know the first thing about cleaning my bike so I went on youtube and watched about 10 different videos on how to clean your bike. Well... 2 hours and $30 later, LOOK AT MY HANDS!!!!



The plastic gloves that I was wearing got ripped during the cleaning and all the oil and dirt and grime got on my hands. Little did I know what was happening until I was done! I was horrified. Because the cleaning solution was a mixture of paint thinner, the nail polish on my fingers were destroyed, not to mention my manicure. I was sick from all the fumes from the cleaning solution, and I was scared that I would get cancer from the direct skin contact with the solution. As soon as I thought I was done, I took off the gloves and washed my hands 10 times. The washing didn't help!!!!! I had the black oil and grime all under my nails, and there was no way it was coming off without professional help. So, I rushed to the nail salon and asked for manicure to fix it. As soon as the lady saw my hands, she said, "ACK! What happened!! You making my job very hard!" 30 minutes of scrubbing later, the lady said, "I can't get these stains off your nails and skin without hurting you. How about we paint your nails black?" And she was serious. NOOOOOOoOooooOoOOO~~~!! =( So I came home with pink nails with black outline around it. Plus my hands smell like oil and gas.

On top of that, the floor of my deck has black oil stains on it and the paint is coming off from the cleaning solution. Uhhh... I can't seem to even get the stains out. Great... Hunnybuns is going to kill me. (he hasn't seen it yet!)

So, if you have any inclination to clean your bike, let the man do it. Or better yet, take it to a bike shop to do it. Or pay a kid to do it. I won't ever do it again. I'll just take it to the shop and save myself all the trouble. I should start a mobile bike cleaning service for people like me who need this. I wouldn't clean the bike myself, of course!

5 comments:

Darlene said...

Oh your poor hands and nails! What were you thinking???....lol

Liz Mays said...

Oh my gosh, that is some serious embedded grime!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, no!

I have one suggestion for your hands. There is an old fashioned soap called LAVA. It was made with pumice. My father would use it after he had tinkered with some mechanical thing or other if his hands got dirty with grease or something. So you might try that. I can remember the ads for it on TV when I was little back in the Dark Ages. ;-) I assume they still sell it, and if you can't find it locally, try Vermont Country Store.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Macey said...

Blech! Looks like my hands after I picked stupid walnuts!

Lori E said...

There are some solutions made with orange oils that men use to clean the grease off. It doesn't smell too hideous either. Home Depot would have it.

 
Haley's Journal.